Back to Work provides employers with up to $16,000 for hiring and training eligible job seekers in Victoria
The Back to Work Scheme, which is a capped two-year $100 million fund, encourages and supports employment growth in Victoria by providing financial assistance to eligible employers.
The 2016-17 Victorian Budget provides an additional $10 million to support businesses that hire automotive industry workers affected by the upcoming closure of major car manufacturers.
You can apply online quickly and easily to access payments of up to $12,000 for hiring eligible employees into full-time and part-time jobs, and additional payments of up to $4000 for providing accredited training.
What amount can you claim?
To claim a payment your eligible employee must be unemployed prior to being hired by you, and fall into one of the categories below.
Employers that hire an eligible job seeker can be eligible for the following amounts.
See full details of claim amounts in our FAQs.
- Retrenched workers ($5000)
- Retrenched automotive workers ($7000)
- Out-of-trade apprentices ($5000)
- People aged 15 to 25 who have been looking for work for three months or more ($5000)
- Long-term unemployed persons ($12,000)
- Apprentices or trainees ($5000)
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islanders ($5000)
- Current or recent youth justice clients ($5000)
- Current or recent criminal justice clients ($5000)
- Disability pensioners ($5000)
- Members of a drought-affected farm household ($5000)
- Refugees ($5000)
- Social housing tenants ($5000)
- Sole parent pensioners ($5000)
- Young people in or exiting out-of-home care ($5000)
An additional amount of up to $4000 is available for accredited training.
Note: all Back to Work payments do not include GST.
Are you eligible?
All employers who hire an eligible employee into a Victorian job are eligible, except for:
- An employer with a poor workplace safety record,
- A recent employer of the eligible employee (where the employee is hired on or after 1 November 2015), and
- Municipal councils and other public, local or government bodies
Claim your payment
Claiming your payment is quick and easy for employers who have hired an eligible employee into a Victorian job.
Request a reminder
Register to receive a reminder in three months to submit your Back to Work claim.