General insurance calculator
General insurance is any kind of insurance applicable to property, risk, contingency, trauma, disability or event in Victoria.
Duty is charged at 10 per cent on the gross premium you pay to your insurer, including any commission and GST. It is generally paid by your insurer who usually passes the cost on in the premium you pay.
Life insurance riders
There is no duty on life insurance, although duty may apply where a rider (additional insurance) is attached to the insurance policy. In these cases, we calculate duty based on the cost of the additional insurance in your premium. If we do not consider this amount correctly reflects the additional insurance, we have discretion to determine a new premium.
Before you start
You need to know the gross premium (including any commission and GST).
Use our calculator
Terms and conditions
- This calculator may only be used for reference purposes.
- While the State Revenue Office makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the automatic calculations provided in this service, you will acknowledge that there may be instances where the State Revenue Office is required to recalculate the figures submitted for assessment.
- Note that these terms and conditions of usage should be read in conjunction with the disclaimer contained in the website.
- There may be certain components in the calculator which may be the subject of other intellectual property rights reserved by the SRO or other third parties. No licence is granted in respect of these intellectual property rights.
- Any copies of the information, products, technology or processes must retain copyright and other intellectual property notices contained in the original material.
Material accessible through the Internet on the State Revenue Office website is copyright protected. Other than as permitted under legislation, no part of this site may, in any form or by any means, be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted without prior written permission. Enquiries or application for permission to use this material for other purposes should be directed to the Commissioner of State Revenue.
While the State Revenue Office makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information, products, technology or processes contained in this website, the information, products, technology or processes should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for formal advice from the originating bodies or departments.
The information, products, technology or processes on the State Revenue Office website are provided on the basis that all persons accessing the site undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its content, usage and result.
The use of or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes are subject to other terms and conditions to be found on this website.
The State Revenue Office, its employees and agents will not be responsible for any direct or indirect loss, howsoever caused or arising from the use of, or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any information, products, technology, processes or services which may appear on any linked websites in the internet.