In early 2017, Victoria’s land registry, Land Use Victoria, announced its phased timetable for transitioning to digital only lodgement by 1 August 2019, with very limited exceptions.
From 1 October 2018 all instruments or combinations of instruments available in PEXA are to be lodged electronically.
This applies to conveyancers and lawyers acting for a party or for themselves, as well as PEXA subscribers. Examples include a case comprising withdrawal of a caveat, discharge of mortgage, and transfer and mortgage. This means:
- Duties Online transaction types listed on our website must be processed electronically using an electronic lodgement network operator (the only one available is PEXA).
- All remaining complex transactions, which cannot be completed in Duties Online and PEXA, need to be lodged electronically with the State Revenue Office for a duty determination before registration. We are planning for the electronic completion of complex transactions and will keep you updated.
Digital Duties Form mandatory for all transactions
Use of the Digital Duties Form is currently mandatory for all transactions with a contract or transfer date on or after 1 July 2017.
From 1 October 2018, to align with the Land Use Victoria requirement for electronic lodging in PEXA, all transactions must have a digital form completed, irrespective of the contract or transfer date.
Free PEXA webinars
Property Exchange Australia (PEXA) is running a free webinar series, titled ‘1 Oct: Vic transfers are go!’, to help people transition from paper to electronic conveyancing.
The webinars demonstrate how to complete a four party transfer from the perspective of both a vendor and a purchaser. There are 11am sessions relating to representing a vendor and 2pm sessions relating to representing a purchaser on 24 September and 8 and 15 October.
PEXA is also running separate webinars on how to complete a Survivorship and Transmission Application (APR) at 11am on 19 September and 9 October.
Register for the webinars.
Find out more about Land Use Victoria’s electronic lodgements
- Read Land Use Victoria’s Customer Information Bulletin 179.
- You can also contact the Land Registry Service on 03 9194 0601.
- If you have questions about PEXA and registering for their system, call PEXA on 1300 084 515 or visit their website.