This form should be used to apply for a metropolitan planning levy (MPL) certificate.
You cannot apply for a planning permit application in metropolitan Melbourne:
- without a valid certificate, and if
- your estimated development costs are more than the levy threshold.
The estimated cost of development on your certificate must be equal to or greater than the estimated cost of the development in your planning permit application.
We will issue a certificate if we are satisfied that the whole amount of the levy has been paid as per the estimated cost of the development.
Unless a revised metropolitan planning certificate is issued, a certificate expires 90 days after its issue date.
A revised certificate may be issued in the following circumstances:
- The estimated cost of the development increases after you have received your certificate but before you apply for the planning permit.
- If the estimated cost of the development stated on the certificate is different to that stated in your application but there has been no change in the estimated costs of the development.
- To correct an error in the information related to the certificate.
A revised certificate expires 90 days after its issue date.
The threshold amount is $1,052,000 for the 2018-2019 financial year. This threshold is adjusted by the Consumer Price Index (CPI) on 1 July each year.
How the levy is calculated
The levy is $1.30 for every $1000 of the estimated cost of the development for which the leviable planning permit is required.
If the estimated cost of the development is not a multiple of $1000, the estimated cost is to be rounded up or down to the nearest $1000, with the amount rounded up where the cost includes an amount of $500.
Refund of the metropolitan planning levy
You can only get a refund if there has been a mathematical error in calculating the amount of the levy in relation to the estimated cost of the development stated in the original or revised certificate application.
Other than that, we will not refund the levy, either in whole or in part, including where:
- The estimated cost of the development decreases.
- You do not lodge your planning permit application.
- Your application lapses, is refused or is withdrawn.
- The threshold increases after you apply for your planning permit.
- Your planning permit application is granted but subsequently cancelled.
Unique application identifier
After you have submitted your completed application, a unique application identifier will be displayed on the ‘Submission Complete’ page.
You should quote this number whenever and however you contact us to discuss your application.
Paying the levy
You pay the levy by electronic funds transfer (EFT).
After you have submitted your completed application, you will see our bank account details and your application ID on the 'Submission Complete' page.
So that we can process your application promptly, please use your application identifier and our account details when you pay by EFT.
Electronic funds transfer details
Lodgement reference: Your unique application identifier
BSB: 033 222
Account Number: 000197