The growth areas infrastructure contribution (GAIC) is a contribution on certain land in the growth areas of metropolitan Melbourne. GAIC may apply if your land is in:
- Whittlesea, or
Certain transactions relating to land in the contribution area are, however, exempt from GAIC.
To apply for the exemption and the certificate of exemption, you must complete SmartForm Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution Consolidated Form (GAIC Form 02). This SmartForm is completed on screen and submitted electronically.
When you apply for an exemption from GAIC, the certificate issued confirms that the liability to pay the GAIC has been exempted. This enables a land transfer to be registered with Land Victoria.
Prepare your information
The following information is needed to complete the Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution Consolidated (GAIC Form 02), but please refer to the form for specific instructions:
- Your contact details including residential address, mailing address, phone number and email address,
- Your relationship with the land (as the owner, owner’s representative, land buyer, land buyer’s representative, or involved in the significant acquisition of an interest in the landholder),
- The grounds for no GAIC liability,
- Details of the land, including address, lot number, plan number and municipality,
- If the applicant for the certificate is not the owner of the land, the owner’s details,
- Confirmation whether the applicant has ownership (either full or part) in the land,
- If a GAIC event has/will occur, the type of GAIC event, the date it happened and the amount of the GAIC liability
If the GAIC event is due to a significant acquisition, you will need to provide the following information:
- Details of the landholder including, registered address, ABN (for all companies) and Australian Registered Scheme Number’s (for all unit trusts), and
- Details of the significant acquisition, including:
- the date the significant acquisition was made,
- whether the significant acquisition was a result of a single acquisition, an aggregation of acquisitions or an acquisition of a remaining interest in the landholder,
- the percentage of the significant interest that the applicant acquired and
- If a Section 83 Landholder Acquisition Statement (Duties Form 58) has been lodged, the date it was lodged.
If the GAIC event is a result of a significant acquisition you will need to provide the following information if you have not already provided it when a landholder acquisition statement was lodged:
- A full copy of the share/unit sale agreement relating to the significant acquisition,
- A copy of the relevant certificate of title for every land held by the landholder in the contribution area at the date of the significant acquisition,
- A full copy of the landholder's historical register of all shares or unit holders, and
- The landholder's statement of financial position (balance sheet) for the year immediately preceding the year in which the significant acquisition occurred
Complete and submit your application
The GAIC application form is completed and submitted electronically. Supporting documentation can be attached as part of the online process.
Please note this application form can be used for purposes other than applying for an exemption from GAIC. Please complete each mandatory section.
Once you have provided all the relevant information, you must acknowledge the information you have provided is true and correct. To do this, you must provide:
- The name of signatory,
- Their position and organisation, and
- Signature date stamp (this appears automatically when the information field is activated)
The ‘save for later’ button on the form allows you to save your form to complete at a later date.
Once you have provided all the required information, you can submit the form.
We use all the information in the application to update our records and may pass on the changes to other government agencies where we are authorised to do so.
If you have trouble submitting the form online, please contact our GAIC area on (+61) 03 9628 0049.
Attach supporting documents
Supporting documentation can be attached to the online form. You can also elect to deliver any supporting documents via post to:
State Revenue Office
GPO Box 1641
State Revenue Office
Download and save the receipt
After you submit your form, you will then be directed to a receipt page. Please ensure you note your receipt number (beginning with "GAIC-Form-02") and quote this number if you need to contact us.
Please save a copy of your receipt for your records.
We will send the certificate to the postal address you have provided in your form. Alternatively, we may contact you if we need to discuss this matter further.
Land Victoria will be notified that a transfer of land or a plan of subdivision may be registered.