Below are examples of how the congestion levy is calculated for a private car park located in the category 1 levy area. The same rules apply to private car parks in the category 2 levy area using the category 2 levy area rate.
Levy with no exempt spaces and no concession
An owner of a private car park in the category 1 levy area lodges their 2021 annual return showing the car park has a total of 90 parking spaces.
The congestion levy for 2022 is calculated thus: 90 (spaces) x $1510 (category 1 levy amount) = $135,900
Levy with exempt spaces
An owner of a private car park in the category 1 levy area lodges their 2022 annual return showing the following:
- the car park has a total of 70 parking spaces
- 10 of these parking spaces are exempt under the shift worker exemption, as they are leased to a nearby hospital which provides them to nursing staff for parking while they are at work.
The congestion levy for 2022 is calculated thus: 70 (total spaces) - 10 (exempt spaces) = 60 (total leviable spaces) x $1510 (category 1 levy amount) = $90,600.
Levy with concession
An owner of a private car park in the category 1 levy area lodges their 2022 annual return showing:
- the car park has a total of 80 parking spaces
- 10 of these parking spaces are exempt.
Additionally, the owner lodges a claim form, claiming a concession for an additional five spaces. The owner notes that the spaces were unavailable for use for 45 days of the year due to building works.
Based on this information, the levy payable for 2022 is calculated (amounts have been rounded) thus:
Step 1 - Calculate levy on total spaces
- 80 parking spaces minus 10 exempt spaces = 70 total leviable parking spaces
- 70 x $1510 (levy amount) = $105,700.
Step 2 - Calculate the concession
Concession for building works
- Divide annual levy amount ($1510) by 365 = $4.14.
- Multiply spaces claimed as unavailable due to building works by number of days claimed for concession (5 x 45 = 225).
- Calculate concession by multiplying the levy amount per day by number of days claimed for concession ($4.14 x 225) = $931 concession.
Step 3 - Subtract the total concessions from the initial levy liability
$105,700 - $931 = $104,769 (total levy payable).