Skip to main content Go to home page

Find lost or forgotten money, prizes and winnings by searching the Unclaimed Money Register, or lodge unclaimed money held by your business.

What is unclaimed money?

Unclaimed money is money that cannot be reunited with its rightful owner because, for example, the person has moved address, changed their name, or forgotten about it.

Unclaimed money can be any gross amount $20 and over, including:

Every year, millions of dollars end up in the Victorian Unclaimed Money Register waiting to be collected by its rightful owners.

Businesses, gaming venues and betting agencies lodge these unclaimed amounts with us.

We do not hold all types of lost money, for example, superannuation and funds from bank accounts are dealt with by other agencies.

Find money belonging to you

You can search the register for any unclaimed money belonging to you. It is free to search and free to claim.

The register contains unclaimed money lodged since 1997. Before 1 January 2009, businesses also had to publish an annual list of unclaimed amounts in the Victorian Government Gazette.

Search the register

Apply for your unclaimed money

If you believe you are the legal owner of unclaimed money listed in the register, or you are claiming on behalf of a deceased estate, complete an application form to prove the money belongs to you.

If you are claiming more than one amount of money on the register, you need only lodge one completed application form with a covering letter requesting all other funds in your name to be included.

Make a claim

Tatts, Intralot and TAB

We receive unclaimed Tattersalls, Intralot and Tabcorp winnings and prizes for tickets purchased in Victoria if they have remained unclaimed for more than 12 months.

To apply for unclaimed winnings or prizes, the ticket must have been bought in Victoria and be more than 12 months old and, in the case of Tattersalls and Intralot, not be on a registered card.

Apply for your unclaimed winnings or prizes

For unclaimed money on a Tattersalls or Intralot registered card, or Tabcorp account, you must first contact the relevant agency. If they advise you that the amount has been referred to us, please search for your unclaimed money in the register and once you find it, apply.

Lodging unclaimed money


All Victorian businesses and trustees holding a gross amount of $20 or more in unclaimed money have a legal responsibility to record and keep the money for at least 12 months, and then lodge it with us.

Businesses include companies, partnerships, co-operatives, local councils, public hospitals, law practices and housing societies.

Businesses must lodge all unclaimed money they hold by 31 May each year. The lodgement must include entitlements (minus any reasonable expenses) that are at least 12 months old as of 1 March of that year.

Payment must be made via electronic funds transfer (EFT).

Lodge as a business

Gaming venues

Gaming venue operators must pay unclaimed money from gaming machines to us. Operators have annual responsibilities in respect of unclaimed prizes and winnings.

Payment must be made via electronic funds transfer (EFT).

Lodge as a gaming venue

Looking for your lost super?

Search for your lost superannuation through the Australian Taxation Office

Other types of lost money

Other types of lost money include:

  • old bank, credit union, building society or friendly society accounts,
  • money from de-registered companies,
  • money from compulsory share acquisitions, and
  • unclaimed life insurance policies.

To search for and claim these amounts, contact the Australian Securities & Investments Commission via their MoneySmart website or by calling 1300 300 630.

Money held in other states or territories

Each Australian state and territory is responsible for administering the unclaimed money lodged by businesses and trusts operating there. To assist you to search and claim your money being held in other states and territories, contact these agencies:

Last modified: 5 June 2024

News and updates

How to lodge unclaimed money

Back to top