The commercial passenger vehicle service levy (CPVSL), also known as the trip levy, is a $1 levy that applies to every taxi and hire car trip, including ride share, originating in Victoria.
Helping you get it right
To help you get it right, we provide a range of information and tools, including:
- Information on the commercial passenger vehicle service levy.
- A decision tool to help you decide if you need to register for the commercial passenger vehicle service levy.
- An online registration portal where you can also submit your quarterly returns and pay the levy.
Our compliance activities include:
- Monitoring returns to ensure the levy is recorded accurately.
- Ensuring returns are lodged quarterly.
- Gathering information via the public, data-matching and other sources to ensure that commercial passenger vehicle services (taxi and hire car services, including ride share) comply with their obligations.
- Investigating suspect reporting of the levy.
- Verifying voluntary disclosures.
Common errors to avoid
- Drivers or owners collecting the levy and not being registered when required.
- Registering under the wrong registration type.
- Failing to lodge accurate driver details including name, driver accreditation number (DC number) and ABN.
- Failing to lodge accurate trip data.
- Failing to lodge for one or more registration types (separate returns are required for each registration type).
- Failing to lodge or pay quarterly returns by the due date.
- Failing to cancel registration when appropriate.