Skip to main content Go to home page

An exemption or concession from duty is available for eligible concession card holders, including eligible pensioners when they buy a property as their home.

You must meet certain criteria to be an eligible concession card holder/pensioner and receive the exemption or concession. This includes holding an eligible concession card on the date of the transfer. Generally, you must also be the primary card holder. It is not enough to be listed as a dependant or partner on another person’s concession card. There are some exceptions to this.

Eligible concession cards

The eligible concession cards are:

(Services Australia was formerly known as the Department of Human Services).

These cards are generally, but not always, issued to someone who receives a specific government payment, pension or allowance including:

  • age pension
  • carers pension
  • disability allowance
  • disability support pension
  • family allowance
  • family payment
  • JobSeeker payment
  • low income allowance
  • mobility allowance
  • Newstart
  • partner allowance
  • parenting payment (single or partnered)
  • parenting/partner allowance
  • sickness allowance
  • special benefit
  • widow allowance
  • wife pension
  • widow B pension.

Remember that even if you receive one of the payments listed, you may not be entitled to one of the relevant concession cards. If not, you cannot receive this exemption or concession. 

Services Australia Health Care Cards

Services Australia health care cards contain a 2- or 3-letter code telling you what type of benefit, allowance or payment it has been issued for. This code is on the front of the card on the last line after the words ‘CARD START’ and the date. For example, a Health Care Card will have the letters ‘LI’ if the holder receives a Low Income Allowance.

There are many different Services Australia health care codes and you are eligible for this duty exemption or concession, unless you have a Foster Child Health Care Card, with the code ‘FO’ or ‘FST’, or Carer Allowance Health Care Card, with the code ‘CD’.

Exceptions to the primary card holder rule

In limited circumstances, both the primary card holder and their partner are considered to be card holders for the purposes of the duty exemption or concession and are therefore both eligible pensioners.

The most common examples of this are holders of these Health Care Cards:

  • Family Assistance (FA) Services Australia Health Care Card
  • Parenting Payment Partnered (PP) Services Australia Health Care Card.

News and updates

Last modified: 15 July 2024
Back to top