Skip to main content Go to home page

If you are dissatisfied with your reassessment for motor vehicle duty, you can lodge an objection.

What is an objection?

An objection is a formal internal review process for resolving disputes about a decision we have made. You can lodge an objection if you disagree with a decision by us.

Lodge an objection

Objecting is a formal process and you must complete the Motor Vehicle Duty Objection Smartform and attach any documentation which supports your objection. 

When should I lodge?

If you want to object to a decision on motor vehicle duty reassessment, your objection must be lodged with us within 60 days from the date of your assessment.

Objections lodged out-of-time

If you want to lodge an objection outside the 60-day time frame, you must write to us and request permission to lodge an out-of-time objection. Your application must:

  1. Detail the circumstances and reasons that have prevented you from lodging your objection within the 60-day time frame.
  2. Set out your grounds of objection.
  3. Contain any supporting documentation.

If you are allowed to lodge an objection out of time, it will be dealt with in the same manner as an objection lodged within the 60-day time frame.


Your objection will be dealt with by a person independent of the original decision-maker.

They will use the information you provide, as well as other available information, to make their decision.

You will receive a written notice of determination on your objection. If it is disallowed or only partly allowed, we provide you with reasons for our decision.

If you are dissatisfied with our determination, you have the right to refer the matter for review to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). Your request must be in writing and must be received by us within 60 days of the date of service of the determination upon you or your representative.

Do not lodge your written request directly with VCAT as it has no statutory power to accept an application directly from you.

Repaying any amount owing pending your objection

A motor vehicle duty reassessment should be paid by the due date even if you lodge an objection.

If you pay the full amount and your objection is allowed or partially allowed, you will receive a refund together with interest calculated at the market rate.

If you do not pay the full amount owing by the due date, interest accrues on the outstanding amount calculated at the market and premium rates. If your objection is unsuccessful, you must pay the outstanding amount as well as accrued interest.

Last modified: 4 June 2024
Back to top