You are here

If you believe you overpaid duty on your purchase because you did not claim an eligible exemption, concession or reduction, you can apply for a refund up to five years after the date the duty was paid.

How to avoid the need for a refund

To avoid claiming a refund, you should provide the correct application form(s) to your conveyancer or solicitor at the time of your purchase so that you pay the correct amount of stamp duty.

Stamp duty should be assessed with the concession or exemption rate at the time of lodging your land transfer documents via Duties Online or as a public lodgement.

Any refund depends on factors including your (and/or your partner/spouse) eligibility, the settlement date and the value of your property at the relevant time.

The most common refunds for overpaid duty and their current declaration and application forms are:

Find out more about our refund policy.


Gather required information

Please prepare:

  • A new and completed declaration or application form for the relevant exemption, concession or reduction and applicable period.
  • A covering letter outlining your reasons for a refund.
  • Any supporting documents requested in the application form specific to your circumstances.

Complete your form or declaration

The application form or declaration can be completed:

  • online, printed and signed, or
  • downloaded, printed, completed and signed - please use block letters in blue or black ballpoint pen.

Whichever method you choose, the form must be signed before it is lodged electronically. Your refund application cannot be lodged manually.


Start your refund application

To lodge your refund application electronically, you must register with us to use our online system.

We require a valid email address to approve your registration.

Once approved, you will be allocated a reference ID to use for your public lodgement.

To help you register, watch our video in the Duties Online tutorial library.

Help video

Register a refund lodgement


Resume your refund application

To resume your lodgement, please have your electronic documents easily accessible on your device so you can upload them.

When you access our online system to resume your public lodgement, you need your reference ID.

Before submitting your public lodgement you must:

  • Check the accuracy of data you have provided and the documents you have uploaded.
  • Ensure you have provided the correct bank account details of the transferee/purchaser of the property.

Resume refund lodgement

Next steps

If we need more information, we will contact you.

If you are entitled to a refund and you have a tax debt with us, we will apply the refund amount to offset that debt  and then pay any remaining amount into your nominated bank account.

If your refund request is denied, we will write to you with our reason.

Please allow up to 60 days for a decision on your refund request.