You are here

General FAQs

FAQs for technical transactions

How do you sign up?

Select Register on our online application form and agree to the terms and conditions set out in the DOL notice of a special tax return arrangement (read the terms and conditions).

Is there a fee to use this system?

No, however you must have access to the internet.

What are DOL's benefits?

  • You no longer need to attend our office. You are able to process transactions from your office and take them directly to Land Victoria for registration once you finalise a transaction in the system,
  • DOL is available between 7am-10pm on business days,
  • During business hours, support is available via or 13 21 61 to help you complete DOL transactions, and
  • DOL weekend access is available from 9am-5pm except when otherwise advised by the SRO

What is the difference between a DOL Duty Determination transaction and an SRO Duty Determination transaction?

A DOL Duty Determination is a transaction that is completed end to end by the DOL user, without the need to scan and lodge documents with the SRO.

An SRO Duty Determination is a complex transaction that requires a duty calculation from the SRO before it can be finalised by the DOL user and lodged at the titles office. Previously, these transactions would have been lodged over the counter at the SRO or via post. 

Are you required to store any documentation?

Yes. You must keep any SRO forms for five years. As outlined in DOL's terms and conditions, you can do this either by hardcopy storage or electronically.

Who is liable if an issue occurs relating to a transaction processed in DOL?

The taxpayer will be liable if underpayment of duty occurs. You, however, as a registered user who has agreed to DOL's terms and conditions, are required to source the information correctly from the forms provided to you and to forward payment to the SRO in a timely fashion.

What type of transactions can you process?

Land transfers

DOL Duty Determination processes 13 of the most basic land transfer transactions plus nine combination transactions. So, in total, you can process 22 transactions.

The DOL user guide provides a full list of transaction types.


You can process discretionary, fixed and unit trusts over non-dutiable property in DOL, but you cannot process hybrid trusts. All other transaction types are classified as "complex" and must be lodged via SRO Duty Determination.

How do you pay the duty?

DOL offers three options to pay:

  • EFT or BPAY – you must transfer the duty amount to the SRO's account within 24 hours of finalising a transaction. This means you must hold the duty amount in cleared funds at that time, or
  • Cheque – we must receive your cheque within seven days of the date a transaction is finalised. If the payment is not received in this timeframe, you account may be suspended

Our video shows you helpful steps to complete the payment process.

Do you need a trust account to use DOL?

No. DOL users do not need a trust account. The duty can be paid electronically by EFT or BPAY. If you pay by cheque, you need to have received the cheque from the liable party when the transaction is finalised. Do not bank the cheque into your own account. Post it and its remittance slip to us. We must receive the cheque within seven days of the date the transaction is finalised. 

If there is no impression on the T1, how will Land Victoria know that duty has been paid?

Amendments have been made to the Duties Act 2000 (chapter 12, part 1) to allow for the replacement of physical stamping by an electronic authentication process directly from DOL. Transactions processed by DOL are taken to have been duly stamped.

When a user finalises a DOL transaction, electronic confirmation is immediately sent to Land Victoria. This confirmation allows the user to immediately lodge the land transfer without the need to have it endorsed, either by stamp or impression.

Refer to SRO Bulletin D03-11 for more information.

How is duty payment confirmed for declarations of trust?

In the case of declarations of trust, registered users are required to print a certificate of duty once the payment has been received by the SRO. The certificate acts as confirmation that the assessment and payment of the trust instrument has been made.

What if you need confirmation of duty payment for your clients?

Registered land transfer users will be able to print a duty statement directly from DOL. For declarations of trust, this document is called a certificate of duty.

The duty statement will outline the transaction's relevant details, including a unique SRO transaction number. This statement can be printed only once the user has committed the duty payment in DOL.

Parties can rely on a duty statement as confirmation of the assessment and obligation to pay the duty.

Do you send the duty statement with the land transfer to Land Victoria?

No. The duty statement is for your records only, or to pass on to your client. Land Victoria only checks whether the duty has been assessed through the electronic verification mechanism – it does not accept a duty statement as evidence.

What if you make an error in the input of data and you have committed to pay?

You are not able to make amendments after you have finalised a transaction in DOL, so you will need to contact the DOL team to discuss the issue. If you made a mistake on the volume/folio or transferee name, you will need to provide a copy of the land transfer and the duty statement. The DOL team will then provide you with a correction letter.

It is unlikely that you will miscalculate the duty amount, as there are plenty of checks and balances in DOL before you finalise a transaction (and the system calculates the duty for you). However, should a mistake occur, you should contact us.

If the transaction is an exemption, do you still need to select the "Commit to pay" button?

Yes. You will not select a payment type, but selecting the "Commit to pay" button sends the transaction information electronically to the Land Victoria.

Who can witness a statutory declaration?

Many people are authorised to witness a statutory declaration under the Evidence (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1958, including:

  • Justice of the Peace or a bail justice,
  • Australian lawyer,
  • Clerk to an Australian lawyer,
  • Member of police force,
  • Chemist,
  • Veterinary practitioner,
  • Bank manager, and
  • A person employed under part 3 of the Public Administration Act 2004 with a classification that is prescribed as a classification for statutory declarations, or who holds office in a statutory authority with such a classification

What does "total interest passing" mean?

This is the total proportion of the property being sold or transferred.

Can you process a related parties' transaction?

Yes, as long as there are no exemptions or concessions involved (other than a domestic partner/spouse exemption). You will need to have an acceptable valuation or letter of appraisal. In cases where a letter of appraisal or sworn valuation of a property is expressed as a range, the lowest figure in the value range is accepted as the market value. For example, for a value range between $100,000 and $125,000, then the lowest point ($100,000) is accepted as market value.

Can you process pensioner concession applications?

Yes. You can process this transaction type with up to two applicants. If there are more than two applicants, you are required to lodge via SRO Duty Determination. We will then make an assessment of the duty you must pay.

An automatic verification check with Centrelink will occur once you select "Estimate". If there is an issue with the verification of the card/s, an on-screen message will appear advising you what to do next.

Can you process transactions involving nominations – Form 6A?

Yes. You are able to process related parties' sub-sale exemptions as well as unrelated party sub-sales, as long as there are no options, land development or additional consideration involved.

What is the status of transactions?

Transactions will remain "In progress" until you "Acknowledge" the transaction. When payment has been acknowledged, the transaction will be classed as "Finalised". Once the SRO has received payment, the transaction will be classed as "Completed".

How do you search for a transaction?

  • Select the "Search" tab, select "Transactions" and select "All" from this line (or a specific status if you know which status the transaction is in),
  • Enter relevant information in appropriate field (e.g. transaction 2905186) and select "Apply", and
  • Double-select on the transaction number and its audit history appears. You can now select whichever tab is required

How do you change or reset a password?

DOL users are able to reset their own password via the ‘Reset your password’ functionality on the DOL login screen. You will receive a confirmation email to your individual email address with details of your new password.

How do you add a new user or delete a user?

Only users with an administrator profile can make changes by following these instructions:

  • Log in to DOL and select the "Administration" tab,
  • Select "Amend registration" and select on "Edit registered users",
  • Select "Add a new user" and enter the first name, surname and email address plus select their roles and documents types. Select "Save", and
  • Select "Next" until you reach the "Confirm" button

Can you process transfers involving (dis-)aggregation?

Transactions involving (dis-)aggregation cannot be processed in DOL Duty Determination and must be lodged for assessment via the SRO Duty Determination.

What if there is a rebate in the special conditions of the contract of sale?

DOL can process transactions involving special conditions such as rebates. If the goods statement makes mention of the rebate (even if it is only in a note and not fully calculated), it is acceptable to deduce from this the reduced dutiable value.

Water deductions (rare cases) cannot be processed in DOL.

If you have an off-the-plan transaction where the Form 4A infrastructure value is listed as less than 25 per cent, can you process this in DOL?

Yes, these transactions can be completed in DOL.

Can you process a late transaction?

You can process transactions in DOL that have incurred late lodgement interest. When interest has been charged you must acknowledge the transaction as this locks in the Estimated amount. The full amount of stamp duty plus interest charged must be paid within 4 days otherwise you are required to re-estimate the transaction and additional interest may be calculated.

Are transactions involving valuations accepted in DOL?

Letters of appraisal or valuations can be accepted, as long as they meet the criteria listed in the help text. The lower value may be chosen. It is not the responsibility of the DOL user to check the value, but it is good practice to alert the customer if the value appears understated, as the SRO does run post-compliance checks to alert of any undervalued property.

Can you complete transactions where the GST is not included in the contract?

Yes, this can be done – you must take the figures as declared in the goods statutory declaration or statement. DOL’s help text tells you from where to source this data.

Can you process multiple exemptions (e.g. off-the-plan with Form 6A)?

Many combinations can be completed in DOL. If it is an allowed transaction, DOL will give you the option to progress and, if not, will restrict you from continuing. The DOL user guide provides a full list of transaction types.

Can you process transfers involving primary production land?

Primary production can be processed if it is a straightforward transaction and parties are not seeking any exemption or deduction (other than a family farm). Water entitlements cannot be completed in DOL Duty Determination and must be lodged for assessment via SRO Duty Determination.

Can you process transactions involving water transfers?

No, this transaction cannot be completed in DOL Duty Determination and must be lodged for assessment via SRO Duty Determination.

Can you process transactions involving a farming business?

If it is family farm, it can be processed with an exemption. No other farming exemptions can be processed in DOL Duty Determination.

Can you process transactions subject to a lease?

Yes, these can be completed in DOL Duty Determination.

  • Form 1 (residential) can be processed without a copy of the lease, or
  • Form 2 (commercial) can be processed with a copy of the lease up to $2 million of dutiable value

Can you process transactions involving a power of attorney if no POA is included?

Yes, these transactions can be completed in DOL Duty Determination. No evidence of a POA is required for SRO purposes.

Can you process transfers by mortgagees?

Yes, these can be processed in DOL Duty Determination.

Can you process transactions involving additional consideration in the nomination statutory declarations (Form 6A) for unrelated parties?

No, transactions involving additional consideration and Form 6A must be lodged via SRO Duty Determination.

What if you notice a discrepancy in a form, for example in the calculations on Form 4A?

It is the responsibility of the taxpayer or their representative and the vendor to check that the correct figures have been provided. However, it is good practice to alert customers if there is a substantial discrepancy, as compliance audits may be conducted on taxpayers’ statutory declarations.

Once transactions are lodged and finalised in DOL, can they be cancelled?

Requests to cancel transactions and/or assessments in DOL will not be processed if a transaction is finalised or you have submitted an electronic lodgement on the basis that settlement has occurred. This is because the dutiable transaction, as evidenced by the information you have provided, indicates that there is a duty liability.

When can you lodge an objection for DOL transactions?

You cannot lodge an objection to a calculation or an estimate of duty. You can only lodge an objection once a transaction is finalised in DOL and an assessment is deemed to have occurred. All objections must be lodged within 60 days of the DOL transaction being finalised.