You are here

If you own land in Victoria, you may have to pay land tax.

For land tax purposes, when you acquire land in Victoria, you must tell us you are the owner of the land by lodging a notice of acquisition within one month of acquiring the land.

You can complete the notice online, which you then need to print and lodge copies with both Land Use Victoria and the relevant local council. You do not lodge the notice with us.

Once the notice is processed by Land Use Victoria, they send us all the information we need.

Failing to lodge the notice of acquisition within one month of acquiring land may result in penalties. 

If you are acquiring land on trust, you need to lodge a notice of trust acquisition with us.

If you have sold your property, you need to lodge a notice of disposition with your relevant water authority, but there is no need to lodge it with us.


Gather required information

The following information is needed to complete the Notice of Acquisition of an Interest in Land (LTX-Form 01), but refer to the form for specific instructions:

  • Full contact details of the seller (all parties that were registered on title whether individuals, trusts or companies),
  • Full contact details of the buyer (all parties to be registered on title whether  individuals, trusts or companies),
    • if the buyer is an individual please provide their date of birth, future contact details and indicate whether the property will be used as their principal place of residence
  • Details of the title (refer to the certificate of title, plan of the property, transfer of land documentation, and council rates notice), and
  • Details of the transaction

Access and complete the notice

The notice can be completed online. You need to print and sign two copies. 

Lodge one copy, along with the transfer of land form, to the Registrar of Titles, and the other copy to the relevant municipal council.

Complete the form


Lodge your notice

Mail or deliver one notice of acquisition, together with the transfer of land form, to the Registrar of Titles:

Land Victoria
2 Lonsdale Street
Melbourne, Vic 3000

The other copy of the notice must be sent to your relevant municipal council.

Next steps

If the land you acquired is not your principal place of residence (your primary home), land tax may apply.

There are various exemptions from land tax, including for land used in primary production, rooming houses, charitable institutions and more. You may want to learn more about these and apply for an exemption.