Skip to main content Go to home page

Requesting a change to your land tax assessment

It is your responsibility to tell us if there are any errors on your assessment, and you must contact us within 60 days of the issue date of your assessment or penalties may apply.

Most common changes and updates can be made online via My Land Tax, including:

Have your assessment on hand along with any other information relevant to your request.

Update your details via My Land Tax

Newly built, under construction, or renovated homes

If your new home is currently under construction, recently finished construction, or you have completed substantial renovations of an existing home, you may be eligible for an upfront exemption or a refund of the land tax you have previously paid on that property.

To apply for a refund, you need to provide us with a range of information.

More information and submit your refund request (construction completed before 1 July 2022)

More exemption information (construction or renovation after 1 July 2022)

Object to the valuations used in your assessment

We have used site valuations to calculate your land tax.

These valuations were conducted in 2023 by local councils or the Valuer-General as part of the regular state-wide general valuation process.

If you do not agree with the valuation used, you can lodge an objection directly with us.

You must lodge your objection within 2 months of receiving your assessment. The Commissioner of State Revenue does not have the discretion to accept out of time objections. 

More about valuation objections

Formally object to your assessment

If you believe you have been incorrectly assessed and wish to formally dispute your land tax assessment notice, you will need to lodge an objection.

To object to your assessment, you must clearly detail in writing the grounds for your objection.

You can object in writing by post, or by completing our online objection form. Only use one of these methods. You must lodge your objection within 60 days of the issue of the assessment.

Even if you have lodged an objection, you must still pay your land tax by the due date or you will be charged interest. If you objection in successful, any amount overpaid will be refunded with interest.

Lodge an objection

More information

Our land tax page has comprehensive information about land tax, including how it is calculated, calculators and other tools to help you understand land tax.

More information about land tax

Last modified: 6 December 2023

News and updates

Back to top