The Back to Work Scheme provides employers with up to $11,000 for hiring and training eligible employees
What payments are available?
- Employers of unemployed people living in the Latrobe Valley and retrenched workers from the Hazelwood Power Station can claim back to work payments for eligible employees who start work any time from 1 January 2017 to 30 June 2020. Claims must be lodged within nine months of the employment start date.
- Employers of dairy industry workers and retrenched automotive workers in Victoria can claim back to work payments for employees who started work any time from 1 July 2016 to 30 June 2018. Claims must be lodged within nine months of the employment start date. This category is not available for dairy industry workers or retrenched automotive industry workers starting work on or after 1 July 2018.
How much can you claim?
You can claim up to:
- $5000 per unemployed person living in the Latrobe Valley that you employ,
- $5000 per retrenched Hazelwood Power Station worker employed.
You can claim up to:
- $5000 per dairy industry worker employed,
- $7000 per retrenched automotive worker employed.
Payments do not include GST. An additional amount of up to $4000 is available to employers who provide accredited training to these eligible employees.
The second instalment payment is available to an eligible employer who received a first instalment payment for their eligible employee.
It is payable nine months from when the first instalment claim was lodged, provided the eligible employee has been continuously employed.
Employers are encouraged to keep track of the date from which the second instalment payment is available and make their claim online.
Am I eligible?
All employers who hire an eligible employee into an ongoing full-time or part-time Victorian job are eligible, except for:
- An employer with a poor workplace safety record,
- A recent employer of the eligible employee, and
- Municipal councils and other public, local or government bodies
Claim your payment
Claiming your payment is quick and easy for employers hiring an eligible employee into an ongoing full-time or part-time Victorian job.