You are here

Your land tax assessment notice should list all the Victorian land you own, including your interest in any land you own jointly with others and any applicable exemptions.

Your vacant residential land tax assessment notice should list all the vacant residential land you own within the 16 inner and middle Melbourne council areas where the tax applies.

If you believe that your land tax assessment or your vacant residential land tax assessment is incorrect, you can:

There are important differences between an amendment and an objection.

When you contact us, you must clearly specify whether you want your matter treated as an amendment or an objection.

Register for one of our land tax or vacant residential land tax webinars

Disagreeing with your site or capital improved valuations

We use site valuations and capital improved valuations prepared by councils to calculate land tax and vacant residential land tax. The site valuation and capital improved valuation also appear on your council rates notice. 

You can object to either valuation if you disagree with it.


You can request an amendment for simple and straightforward changes to your assessment. Examples of common amendments are:

  1. Removing land you no longer own from your assessment,
  2. Applying for a principal place of residence (PPR) or primary production land (PPL) exemption on land which has not been marked as exempt,
  3. Updating your contact details because you are moving between lands you own or owned

Read our quick and easy instructions for making one of these types of amendments.

For all other matters, you should write to us explaining your issue. We will review your amendment request and respond to you in writing. We may request more information from you and will either accept or decline your request. 

If there is an error or omission in your assessment, you must notify us by requesting an amendment within 60 days from the date of issue of the assessment or penalty tax may apply.


An objection is a formal avenue of dispute resolution and will give you formal rights of review and appeal. 

If you want to object, you can either send us your written objection by email or post or complete and lodge an objection form online. Either way, you must provide detailed reasons why you disagree with your assessment. Depending on your circumstances and the nature of your objection, you may have to explain in detail why your circumstances meet the eligibility requirements for a particular exemption or concession.

You should also provide supporting evidence relevant to your objection, which could include financial statements establishing details about a business, utility bills establishing residency at a particular property, or trust deeds or contracts establishing legal relationships. 

Your objection must be lodged within 60 days of the date that you, or your representative, received your assessment. Objections lodged outside the 60-day period must include reasons for the delay and are only accepted at our discretion.

You will receive a written notice of determination on your objection. If your objection is disallowed or only partly allowed, we will provide our reasons. If you disagree with our determination, you have the right to refer the matter for review to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) or to appeal the matter to the Supreme Court of Victoria.

An objection to a reassessment is limited to the extent of the liabilities that are additional to or greater than the liabilities under the previous assessment. For example, if your reassessment includes a property not in your original assessment or a new site valuation results in an increase in your liability.

A different process must be followed if you want to object to the site valuation or capital improved valuation used on your land tax or vacant residential land tax assessment.

Unclear requests

If your request is unclear about whether you want an amendment or are lodging an objection, we use our discretion. 

We would generally treat your matter as an amendment where, for example:

  • The matter is a simple error or oversight,
  • We do not dispute your view on the matter, 
  • You have not provided supporting documens or written reasons which state fully and in detail why your land tax assessment is incorrect

We would generally treat your matter as an objection where, for example:

  • We have previously advised you that we disagree with your view on the matter,
  • Your written correspondence suggests you intend to formally dispute your land tax assessment, 
  • Your request is made within 60 days of the date of the issue of your assessment

Pay your land tax while waiting for a decision

If your land tax is due for payment, either in full or by instalment, you should pay the amount owing while you are waiting for a decision. If you do not pay your assessment by the due date, interest may accrue daily on any outstanding amount regardless of whether you have requested an amendment or lodged an objection.

You may be able to pay a provisional amount, but you must contact us on 13 21 61 to discuss this.

If you have paid or partially paid your land tax assessment, and we amend your land tax assessment based on your request, we will refund any overpaid tax.

If you have paid or partially paid your land tax assessment, and we allow or partially allow your objection, we will refund any overpaid tax with interest.

If we do not amend your assessment or your objection is disallowed, you may be liable for interest on the outstanding portion of your land tax liability, calculated at the market and premium rates from the original due date shown on your assessment notice. You may also lose the option to pay the assessment by instalments.