The growth areas infrastructure contribution (GAIC) is a contribution on certain land in the growth areas of metropolitan Melbourne and it may apply if your land is in:
Certain GAIC events within these areas are exempt or excluded from GAIC so no GAIC is payable. If this is the case, you or your representative can apply to us for a certificate of no GAIC liability. A certificate of no GAIC liability enables the registration of a land transfer, a subdivision or the issuing of a building permit in respect of the relevant land.
To apply for your certificate, you must complete and submit the application form online.
Prepare your information
The following information is needed to complete the Growth Areas Infrastructure Contribution Consolidated Form (GAIC-Form-02), but please refer to the form for specific instructions:
- Your contact details including residential address, mailing address, phone number and email address.
- Your relationship with the land (as the owner, owner’s representative, land buyer, land buyer’s representative, or involved in the significant acquisition of an interest in the landholder).
- The grounds for no GAIC liability.
- Details of the land, including address, lot number, plan number and municipality.
- If the applicant for the certificate is not the owner of the land, the owner’s details.
- Confirmation of whether the applicant has ownership (either full or part) in the land.
- If a GAIC event has or will occur, the type of GAIC event, the date it occurred or is scheduled to occur and the amount of the GAIC liability.
- Details of the landholder including, registered address, ABN (for all companies) and Australian Registered Scheme Number’s (for all unit trusts).
- Details of the significant acquisition, including:
- The date the significant acquisition was made.
- Whether the significant acquisition was a result of a single acquisition, an aggregation of acquisitions or an acquisition of a remaining interest in the landholder.
- The percentage of the significant interest that the applicant acquired.
- If a Section 83 Landholder Acquisition Statement (Duties-Form-58) has been lodged, the date it was lodged.
If the GAIC event is a result of a significant acquisition you need to provide the following information if you have not already provided it when the landholder acquisition statement was lodged:
- A full copy of the share/unit sale agreement relating to the significant acquisition.
- A copy of the relevant certificate of title for every land held by the landholder in the contribution area at the date of the significant acquisition.
- A full copy of the landholder's historical register of all shares or unit holders.
- The landholder's statement of financial position (balance sheet) for the year immediately preceding the year in which the significant acquisition occurred.
Complete and submit your application
The application form must be completed and submitted online.
Please note this application form can be used for purposes other than applying for an exemption from GAIC. Please complete each mandatory section.
Once you have provided all the relevant information, you must acknowledge the information you have provided is true and correct. To do this, you must provide:
- The name of signatory.
- Their position and organisation.
- Signature date stamp (this appears automatically when the information field is activated).
The ‘save for later’ button on the form allows you to save your form to complete at a later date.
Once you have submitted your form, you have the opportunity to download a copy for your records.
We use all the information in the application to update our records and, where authorised to do so, may pass on the changes to other government agencies.
If you have trouble submitting the form, please contact our GAIC area on (+61) 03 9628 0049.
Attach supporting documents
Please ensure all relevant supporting documentation is attached via the online process and submitted electronically with your application.
Download and save the receipt
After you submit your application you will be directed to a receipt page.
Please note your receipt number (beginning with 'GAIC-Form-02') and quote this number if you contact us about your application.
We send the certificate to the email address you have provided.
If we need to discuss this matter further, we will contact you.