You are here

You must use our  Digital Duties Form for all contracts or agreements for land transfer duty and also to apply for the first home buyer duty exemption, concession or reduction

General information

When you buy your first home and the contract date is on or after 1 July 2017, you may be eligible for a duty exemption or concession. If your contract is dated before 1 July 2017, you may be eligible for a 50 per cent duty reduction.

Both the duty exemption and the 50 per cent duty reduction are available to first home buyers when they purchase a new or established property in Victoria with a dutiable value up to $600,000. The duty concession applies where the dutiable value is more than $600,000 but not more than $750,000.

If you satisfy the eligibility requirements for the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG), you are entitled to these first-home buyer duty benefits. This is the case even if your circumstances prevent you from actually receiving the FHOG. This could be, for example, because your first home purchase is an established/existing home rather than a newly built home.

The FHOG is not available for established/existing home purchases.


Gather required information

You need the following information and supporting documents to apply for the duty exemption, concession or reduction:

  • Copy of the contract of sale as this includes the property details and full name of the transferor (seller) and transferee (buyer). 
  • Title details including copies of transfer of land documentation.
  • Company or unit trust details including ABN or ACN for land use entitlements.

Complete your form

The digital duties form is completed on screen. If you are a registered to use Duties Online you can create a form under the ‘Create’ tab in the system.

If you are an individual you must register and lodge via our public lodgement system. Registration is simple and you can electronically lodge scanned documents for a land transfer or declaration of trust via our website after you register with us

If you are applying for a refund using Duties Form 61, it must be completed online and lodged electronically.

Next steps

We contact you if we need more information.

If you receive this duty reduction and your circumstances change so that you no longer meet the residency requirements, you must notify us in writing within 30 days of the change(s) so we can reassess duty.