Trustees of trusts can use this calculator to estimate the trust's land tax at trust surcharge rates, including the absentee owner surcharge if it applies.
Please refer to our general rates calculator if you are not a trustee or are a trustee that pays land tax at general rates.
Who can use this calculator?
Trustees of the following trusts:
- Discretionary trusts that acquired land only before 31 December 2005, but the trustee has not nominated a beneficiary.
- Discretionary trusts that acquired land only after 31 December 2005, with no nominated PPR beneficiary.
- Discretionary trusts with land acquired before and after 31 December 2005 where the trustee has not nominated a beneficiary.
- Fixed trusts where the trustee has not notified the State Revenue Office of the beneficial interests in the land.
- Unit trusts where there has been no notification of the unitholders.
This calculator does not include any deduction you may receive for tax payable by the joint ownership if the trust owns lands with others. In these situations, the calculation is only indicative of your liability.
Who can’t use this calculator?
Trustees of the following trusts:
- Discretionary trusts with a nominated beneficiary that hold pre and post-2006 land,
- Discretionary trusts that only holds pre or post-2006 land which is used as a PPR by the nominated PPR beneficiary,
- Discretionary trusts that hold land acquired before 31 December 2005 with a nominated beneficiary,
- Unit trusts holding multiple lands, for the land used by the nominated PPR beneficiary only,
- Fixed trusts holding multiple lands, for the land used by the nominated PPR beneficiary only,
- Excluded trusts,
- Administrative trusts,
- Implied trusts,
- Constructive trusts.
Before you start
You need to know the following:
- Which year you are calculating the trust's estimated land tax for,
- The total value of all the taxable land held for the trust for the relevant year as at midnight 31 December. We use site value (find the total taxable value on your land tax assessment notice), and
- The absentee owner status of the trust.
Do not include the value of any exempt land such as primary production land or land used as the home (principal place of residence (PPR)) of a nominated PPR beneficiary.
For land used by a nominated PPR beneficiary of a unit or discretionary trust, please use our general rates calculator to calculate the land tax applying to this land.
Terms and conditions
- This calculator may only be used for reference purposes.
- While the State Revenue Office (SRO) makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the automatic calculations provided by this service, you acknowledge that there may be instances where the State Revenue Office is required to recalculate the figures submitted for assessment.
- These terms and conditions of usage should be read in conjunction with the disclaimer contained in the website.
- There may be certain components in the calculator which may be the subject of other intellectual property rights reserved by the SRO or other third parties. No licence is granted in respect of these intellectual property rights.
- Any copies of the information, products, technology or processes must retain copyright and other intellectual property notices contained in the original material.
Material accessible through the internet on the State Revenue Office web site is copyright protected. Other than as permitted under legislation, no part of this site may, in any form or by any means, be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted without prior written permission. Enquiries or application for permission to use this material for other purposes should be directed to the Commissioner of State Revenue.
While the State Revenue Office makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information, products, technology or processes contained in this website, the information, products, technology or processes should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for formal advice from the originating bodies or departments.
The information, products, technology or processes on the State Revenue Office website are provided on the basis that all persons accessing the site undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its content, usage and result. The use of or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes are subject to other terms and conditions to be found on this website.
The State Revenue Office, its employees and agents will not be responsible for any direct or indirect loss, howsoever caused or arising from the use of, or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any information, products, technology, processes or services which may appear on any linked websites in the internet.