Terms and conditions for online systems
These terms and conditions apply to the use of and access to the State Revenue Office’s Online System(s) (the Online System(s)). In using the Online System(s) you agree to be bound by these terms and conditions. If you do not accept these terms and conditions, you must refrain from using the Online System(s).
The State Revenue Office (SRO) reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions from time to time. Amendments will be effective immediately upon notification within the Online System(s) and/or our website. Your continued use of the Online System(s) following such notification will represent an agreement by you to be bound by the terms and conditions as amended.
When we say:
- We, us and our, we mean the SRO being an agency of the Department of Treasury and Finance, for and behalf of the State of Victoria,
- You and your, we mean you as the user of an Online System(s),
- Online System(s), we mean the following electronic business system(s) accessed via the SRO’s website:
- PTX Express,
- LTX Express,
- Duties Online,
- Digital Duties Form,
- Absentee Owner Notification Portal,
- Vacant Residential Land Tax Portal,
- Commercial Passenger Vehicle Service Levy Portal,
- Unclaimed Money Register,
- SRO App (Android and Apple),
- AutoPay instalments.
- Person, we mean an individual, partnership or body whether incorporated or not.
Your user obligations
1. Access security
When you use a user ID, password, AUSkey or other access mechanism to access an Online System(s), you must:
- Comply with the terms and conditions that relate to the access mechanism,
- Keep the access mechanism secure at all times, and
- Not disclose the access mechanism to, or share it with, others.
You must not use an access mechanism to access an Online System(s) if:
- It has not been issued to you, or
- It has been revoked by us or its issuing authority.
If the security of an access mechanism issued to you has been compromised, or if there is any change in the information on which the issue of your access mechanism was based, you must notify us in writing, addressed to the SRO’s Information Security Manager at Level 2, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 and its issuing authority immediately.
2. Data security
Data about individuals and entities provided to you through an Online System(s) is confidential.
You are responsible for maintaining the security of the data and preventing its disclosure to persons who are not authorised to access that data.
If your computer will be unattended, even briefly, you must log out from the Online System(s) or lock your computer.
3. Online System(s) security
You are responsible for protecting and maintaining the confidentiality of the information related to the use of an Online System(s).
We strongly recommend that you:
- Never disclose your user ID and password to anyone,
- Keep your computer software up to date, especially with security upgrades and patches (these are usually available from the licensor of the software),
- Ensure that your anti-virus software is current and running on your computer at all times (scan new programs/files for viruses before opening, running, installing or using them),
- Ensure that you have intrusion protection software – commonly referred to as a "firewall" – to provide added security around your information and protection from misuse of your identity,
- Avoid opening, running, installing or using programs/files you have obtained from a person or organisation unless you are certain that you can trust them,
- Log out when you are finished using an Online System(s) (you should also log out if you leave your computer unattended) to avoid others accessing your account, and
- Conduct secure disposal practices such as cleansing of the hard disk on disposal of your computer.
4. Acting for another person
To use an Online System(s) to access data relating to, or to carry out a transaction for, another person:
- You must be currently authorised by that other person to access that data or carry out that transaction on their behalf, and that authorisation must not have been revoked,
- If that authorisation is based on you holding a certain position (for example, as that other person’s employee or agent for tax purposes), you must currently hold that position, and
- If that authorisation is based on you holding a certain accreditation (for example, as a registered tax agent or a solicitor), you must currently hold that accreditation and that accreditation must not have been suspended or cancelled.
5. Secondary accounts
If you are an administrator using an Online System(s) to create or apply for secondary access for a staff member, you must confirm the identity of each member of your staff for whom you are creating or applying for that secondary access mechanism.
6. Breach of terms and conditions
If you breach any of these terms and conditions, you must immediately:
- Notify us of that breach, in writing, addressed to the SRO’s Information Security Manager at Level 2, 121 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC 3000, and
- Stop using the Online System(s) until we advise you can.
7. Responsibility for actions
You will be responsible for (and indemnify us against) any loss or damage to any person arising from any one of the following:
- Any breach by you and/or by a person with secondary access authorised by you, of these terms and conditions, and
- Any wilful, negligent, fraudulent or unlawful act or omission by you and/or by a person with secondary access authorised by you, in relation to, or in the course of using, an Online System(s).
However, your liability to us will be reduced to the extent that any wilful, negligent or unlawful act or omission by us has contributed to that loss or damage.
Your responsibility for activities undertaken by you through an Online System(s) (for example, for updates made and payments, returns, notices, statements, applications and other documents transmitted to us) will continue despite ceasing to use this portal or having access to it.
8. Governing law
These terms and conditions are governed by the laws applicable in Victoria.
1. Privacy and secrecy obligations
The SRO does not disclose any information, including personal information, collected by it unless authorised by law or with your consent.
The SRO is bound by:
- Secrecy provisions in the Acts it administers,
- The common law, and the right to privacy in the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006. We will ensure that Online System(s) comply with these laws at all times.
2. Collection notice
Personal information submitted into the SRO’s Online System(s) is collected by the SRO to enable it to establish and authorise access to the Online System(s). If you do not provide the information required, you may not be able to access or use the Online System(s). Personal information collected by the SRO is protected by secrecy provisions in the Taxation Administration Act 1997, the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000, the Back to Work Act 2015, the Unclaimed Money Act 2008 and by the Privacy and Data Protection Act 2014.
3. Provision of online system(s)
- Limit your ability to use an Online System(s),
- Terminate your access to an Online System(s) at any time,
- Amend the times and periods during which an Online System(s) transmissions can take place,
- Vary the terms and conditions of use of an Online System(s) (so the terms and conditions applicable when you next use an Online System(s) may be different from these terms and conditions), and
- Monitor and review the activities of users of an Online System(s) to ensure they comply with the relevant terms and conditions of use.
4. This portal and linked sites
An Online System(s) may not contain all the information that you need. The Online System(s) may contain hyperlinks and other pointers to Internet websites operated by third parties. These linked websites are not under our control and we are not responsible for the contents of any linked website or any hyperlinks contained in a linked website. The SRO provides these hyperlinks as a convenience only, and the inclusion of any link does not imply any endorsement of the linked website by the SRO. Any link made to any such website is made entirely at the risk of the user of an Online System(s).
5. Limited liability
We are not liable for any loss or damage incurred as a result of or in connection with your access to, or use of, the Online System(s), arising from:
- Any error, omission or misrepresentation in any information entered by you on the Online System(s),
- The unauthorised use of your access to the Online System(s);
- The errors or defects in the manner of the input of information transmitted to us,
- Any interference or delay to your access or use of the Online System(s) as a result of equipment or power failure, routine maintenance or prolonged periods of inactivity, or
- Any interference or damage to computer systems, hardware or software occurring as a result of computer viruses, Trojans, worms, malicious programs, hacking and other malicious code.
We will not be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages (including for loss of profits, goodwill, information, data or other intangible losses) resulting from:
- The use or inability to use an Online System(s),
- Unauthorised access or alterations of your transmissions to or from an Online System(s),
- Activities resulting from the loss or misuse of your user ID, password, AUSkey or other access mechanism,
- Statements or conduct of any third party, or
Any other matter relating to an Online System(s).Except as specified in these terms and conditions, we give no implied or express warranties in relation to the use of an Online System(s). All statutory warranties are, to the fullest extent permitted by law, expressly excluded.
The information in the Online System(s) is provided for general guidance only. It is neither, and should not be regarded as, any form of professional advice, nor relied upon.
You are encouraged to seek your own professional advice to find out how the information on this application, as amended from time to time, applies to your particular circumstances.
The SRO, its employees and agents will not be responsible for any direct or indirect loss caused by or arising from the use of, or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes in relation to the Online System(s). No responsibility is taken for any information, products, technology, processes or services which may appear in our Online System(s).