This Charter outlines what you can expect in your dealings with us and what we expect of you
The State Revenue Office of Victoria’s role is to deliver revenue management services fairly, efficiently, and for the benefit of all Victorians.
To perform this role most effectively, our job is to make it easy for you to understand and do business with us. We are a customer-focused organisation committed to providing you with the best possible experience. This is reflected in our service commitments which outline how we expect our staff to interact with you, and the standards we expect from the services that we deliver.
What you can expect from us
In delivering our services, we will:
- Be courteous, professional and considerate of your circumstances and concerns.
- Use concise and clear language when we write and speak with you.
- Explain our decisions, your rights in relation to those decisions, and any applicable time limits.
- Help you understand what you have to do to meet your obligations and guide you through situations you need assistance with.
- Measure the standards of our service and publish the results.
- Make it as easy as possible for people to find the information they need.
- Actively seek your feedback and use it to continuously improve our services.
- Continue to expand our offering of digital services to make your experience faster and more convenient.
- Own our mistakes and correct them as a matter of priority.
- Be responsive to individual, cultural and special needs.
- Act impartially and apply the law consistently to make fair and equitable decisions.
- Treat you as being honest unless you act otherwise.
- Be firm with those who want to avoid their obligations and bring them to account.
- Have regard to your circumstances as far as the law allows.
- Behave with integrity and honesty.
- Respect your privacy and give you access to information we hold about you as permitted by law.
- Protect your information by only using or disclosing it in accordance with the law.
- Respect your right to get advice and to be represented by a person of your choice.
- Comply with our policies regarding compliance activities and the conduct of taxation disputes.
- Where appropriate, use alternative ways to resolve disputes.
- Comply with our obligations under the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities Act 2006.
What we expect from you
We expect you to:
- Be honest, cooperative, and courteous.
- Keep the required records and allow us reasonable access to them.
- Provide timely, accurate and complete responses to our requests for information or documentation.
- Lodge documents, forms and returns on time.
- Pay the full amount of tax on time.
- Inform us of any changes to your circumstances or contact details.
- Take all reasonable steps to inform yourself of your state tax obligations.
- Tell us straight away if you have, or think you may have, made a mistake.
Comments from you
Your feedback helps us to improve our services. We use your compliments, complaints and suggestions to improve the
way we do things.
We will treat all your concerns seriously and respond promptly.
Commissioner of State Revenue