Duty is payable monthly on the sale of cattle (including bulls, cows, oxen, steer, heifers, bison and buffalo), sheep, goats or pigs (or their carcasses), and is charged on a per-head or carcass basis.
If you are selling livestock (or their carcasses) on your own behalf, you must pay duty via a statement directly to us. If you sell through an approved agent, they pay the duty to us and usually pass the cost on to you.
Approved agents must lodge and pay duty via a monthly return.
Before you start
You need to know the following for the month you are paying duty:
- Type of livestock or carcasses sold,
- Number of livestock or carcasses sold,
- Sale price (excluding GST) for sale of cattle or pigs.
For cattle carcasses, you also need to know the number of carcasses weighing:
- 250kg or less,
- More than 250kg.
Terms and conditions
- This calculator may only be used for reference purposes.
- While the State Revenue Office (SRO) makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the automatic calculations provided in this service, you will acknowledge that there may be instances where the SRO is required to recalculate the figures submitted for assessment.
- These terms and conditions of use should be read in conjunction with the disclaimer contained on the website.
- There may be certain components in the calculator which may be the subject of other intellectual property rights reserved by the SRO or other third parties. No licence is granted in respect of these intellectual property rights.
- Any copies of the information, products, technology or processes must retain copyright and other intellectual property notices contained in the original material.
Material accessible through the Internet on the SRO website is copyright protected. Other than as permitted under legislation, no part of this site may, in any form or by any means, be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted without prior written permission. Enquiries or application for permission to use this material for other purposes should be directed to the Commissioner of State Revenue.
While the SRO makes every attempt to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information, products, technology or processes contained in this website, the information, products, technology or processes should not be relied upon or used as a substitute for formal advice from the originating bodies or departments.
The information, products, technology or processes on the SRO website are provided on the basis that all persons accessing the site undertake responsibility for assessing the relevance and accuracy of its content, usage and result.
The use of, or reliance on, the information, products, technology or processes are subject to other terms and conditions to be found on this website.
The SRO, its employees and agents will not be responsible for any direct or indirect loss, howsoever caused or arising from the use of, or reliance on the information, products, technology or processes. No responsibility whatsoever is taken for any information, products, technology, processes or services which may appear on any linked websites on the internet.