Find the answers to some frequently asked questions about the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) for regional Victoria:
- What is the $20,000 regional FHOG?
- What is a new home?
- What is regional Victoria?
- What are the key dates I need to know?
- What types of home/construction qualify?
- Who qualifies?
The regional First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is a $20,000 payment for first home buyers who sign a contract to buy or build their new home, where the contract price (or cost of construction for an owner builder) is $750,000 or less, in regional Victoria.
If the home is not in regional Victoria, the grant is $10,000. The home must be less than five years old to be eligible for the FHOG.
A new home includes:
- a newly built home,
- an existing property being sold for the first time as a residence, or
- a land and building package.
The home must be less than five years old.
All first home buyers in metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria must meet all FHOG eligibility criteria.
Regional Victoria means the following regional councils and the six alpine resorts of Mt Baw Baw, Mt Buller, Mt Hotham, Mt Stirling, Falls Creek and Lake Mountain.
|Regional councils A-G||Regional councils G-M||Regional councils M-Y|
|Alpine Shire Council||Greater Geelong City Council||Murrindindi Shire Council|
|Ararat Rural City Council||Greater Shepparton City Council||Northern Grampians Shire Council|
|Ballarat City Council||Hepburn Shire Council||Pyrenees Shire Council|
|Bass Coast Shire Council||Hindmarsh Shire Council||Borough of Queenscliffe|
|Baw Baw Shire Council||Horsham Rural City Council||South Gippsland Shire Council|
|Benalla Rural City Council||Indigo Shire Council||Southern Grampians Shire Council|
|Buloke Shire Council||Latrobe City Council||Strathbogie Shire Council|
|Campaspe Shire Council||Loddon Shire Council||Surf Coast Shire Council|
|Central Goldfields Shire Council||Macedon Ranges Shire Council||Swan Hill Rural City Council|
|Colac Otway Shire Council||Mansfield Shire Council||Towong Shire Council|
|Corangamite Shire Council||Mildura Rural City Council||Wangaratta Rural City Council|
|East Gippsland Shire Council||Mitchell Shire Council||Warrnambool City Council|
|Gannawarra Shire Council||Moira Shire Council||Wellington Shire Council|
|Glenelg Shire Council||Moorabool Shire Council||West Wimmera Shire Council|
|Golden Plains Shire Council||Mount Alexander Shire Council||Wodonga City Council|
|Greater Bendigo City Council||Moyne Shire Council||Yarriambiack Shire Council|
The date you sign the contract to buy or build your new home is the key date. Settlement date is irrelevant.
The $20,000 regional FHOG is applicable to:
- Contracts entered into on or after 1 July 2017 and no later than 30 June 2021 for the purchase of a new home in regional Victoria.
- Comprehensive home building contracts entered into on or after 1 July 2017 and no later than 30 June 2021 by the owner of land wholly in regional Victoria, or a person who on completion of the contract will be the owner of land wholly in regional Victoria, to have a home built on the land.
- The building of a home wholly in regional Victoria if the building work starts on or after 1 July 2017 and no later than 30 June 2021.
If you are entitled to the FHOG but signed a contract for a first home in regional Victoria before 1 July 2017, you are not eligible for the $20,000 payment, even if you settled on or after 1 July 2017. This is also the case if your contract was signed before 1 July 2017 and you are subsequently nominated as a substitute purchaser. However, you are still eligible for the $10,000 FHOG.
The eligible transaction can be a contract for:
- The purchase of a new residential premises, such as a newly built home or premises being sold as new residential premises for the first time.
- A comprehensive home building contract.
- The construction of a home by an owner builder.
You will qualify if:
- you purchase or build a new home wholly in regional Victoria,
- your contract is signed on or after 1 July 2017 and no later than 30 June 2021, and
- you meet all the other eligibility criteria.
Owner builders who start building their home wholly in regional Victoria on or after 1 July 2017 and no later than 30 June 2021 who meet all other FHOG eligibility criteria also qualify.