In early 2017, Victoria's land registry, Land Use Victoria, announced its phased timetable for transitioning to digital only lodgements by 1 August 2019.
All instruments or combinations of instruments available in Property Exchange Australia (PEXA) now need to be lodged electronically.
This applies to conveyancers and lawyers acting for a party or for themselves, as well as PEXA subscribers. Examples include a case comprising withdrawal of a caveat, discharge of a mortgage, and transfer and mortgage.
This move to electronic conveyancing only, means:
- The Digital Duties Form is mandatory for all transactions.
- Duties Online (DOL) transaction types listed on our website must be processed electronically using PEXA, currently the only electronic lodgement network operator.
- All remaining complex transactions that cannot be completed in DOL and PEXA, need to be lodged electronically with us for a duty determination before registration. We are currently enhancing our systems so that you can settle your complex transactions electronically in 2019.
What is Duties Online?
Duties Online (DOL) allows registered users to electronically submit details of the most common types of property transfers and declarations of trust for assessment, all from the convenience of their office.
When the electronic transaction is finalised and paid or exempted, DOL will instantly transmit confirmation of the duty assessment to Land Use Victoria.
The confirmation details are stored in the Land Use Victoria database until the transfer of land is lodged for registration. The details are then used to confirm that the duty obligations have been met.
For declarations of trust, registered users can print a certificate directly from DOL as evidence that duty has been paid.
Register to use DOL
Any partners in a firm, corporation, company or society that is regularly engaged in property conveyancing can apply to use DOL.
In considering your application to become a registered user, we take into account a range of factors, including:
- The estimated number of transactions you will process using DOL.
- Your lodging history with us.
- The suitability of your organisation and its staff.
- Any other relevant information.
Approved applicants must agree to the terms and conditions set out in the DOL notice of a special tax return arrangement.
To help you register, browse our DOL tutorial video library.
Forgotten your password?
You can reset your Duties Online password following our simple three-step instructions.
Lodge documents for duty assessment as an individual
Members of the public who are not using a DOL registered user (usually a solicitor or conveyancer) who want to lodge electronically as an individual can do so after a simple registration process. You can electronically lodge scanned documents for a land transfer or declaration of trust via our website after registering with us.
If you have a question or need more information about becoming a registered user, contact DOL Support Services on 03 9628 0857 or email email@example.com.
Removal of the 'create land transfer transactions' button under DOL Duty Determination
The option to create new land transfer transactions in DOL under DOL Duty Determination has been removed in order to align with Land Use Victoria's requirement for electronic lodgements via PEXA.
All transactions that can be processed in PEXA must be completed under 'Retrieve and Claim PEXA Transactions in DOL'.
Some transactions cannot be processed in PEXA due to existing system restrictions. These must be lodged as an SRO Duty Determination lodgement to be assessed by us.
Information and assistance
Registered Duties Online users can use the system between 7am and 10pm on weekdays (excluding public holidays).
Refer to our list of DOL transaction types.
To help registered users with the system, we have developed a:
- Guide to Transacting with Duties Online - this guide assists you with electronic conveyancing and includes the most common enquiries and provides explanations on how to resolve or avoid system related issues when interacting between the DOL and PEXA systems,
- range of helpful videos,
- list of frequently asked questions.
Also, keep an eye on our DOL training calendar for dates of webinars.
Evidentiary Requirements Manual
Our Evidentiary Requirements Manual provides information about the evidence you need to provide to us so we can assess your transaction or grant an exemption in accordance with the Duties Act 2000.
- Duties Online - lodge documents through Duties Online.
- ELM - lodge documents through the Electronic Lodgement Model, which is accessed through Duties Online.
- State Revenue Office - lodge documents via mail or email with the State Revenue Office.
For more information on each category and their evidentiary requirements, use our Evidentiary Requirements Manual.